Sunday, November 22, 2009

Your Food: Is It Making You Sick?


Earlier this year, a documentary was released in theatres across the country called Food, Inc. This documentary is an in depth look at the food industry and how the foods we eat have been compromised and monopolized by the major players in the food industry. We are become sicker and fatter all in the name of cheap, easy, quick food.

Food safety is also becoming a concern. More and more we are hearing news stories about foods such as beef, peanuts, spinach, etc. being recalled for e-coli contamination. The use of pesticides are also endangering our health.

It’s obvious I’m a health conscious person and my diet has been void of processed foods for many years, however, after seeing this documentary, I have taken my eating habits one step further by making sure that the fruits and vegetables I eat are pesticide free, and that the beef, fish and poultry I eat are not coming from industrialized food companies, but rather from local farms that aren’t owned by one of the big food companies.

I believe it's good to be informed on the topics covered in this movie so that you can make better food choices. I will say that one of the myths out there (which is talked about in the movie) is that most people choose not to eat healthy simply becuase it's too expensive. Actually, that's not the case if you know how and where to shop.

For many years, I have been shopping in the major supermarket chains. I shied away from Whole Foods simply because I was under the impression that it was too expensive to shop there. Was I wrong! As a matter of fact, my grocery bills are less since I switched over to buying my foods from Whole Foods. All my fruits and vegetables are organic, animal products I purchase are fed grass, not grain and they are free of antibiodics, hormones and other chemicals that industrialized livestock are fed. So it is possible to eat economically healthy.

To get an idea of what the documentary is about, check out the Food Inc. movie trailer



Time Magazine published an in depth article about this topic titled Getting Real About the High Price of Cheap Food.

This documentary is definitely worth seeing not only for your health, but for the health of those you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome